Dr. Hitesh Garg believes in meeting patients individual needs through evaluation and treatment designed to help them achieve active, pain-free lifestyles. He combines leading edge techniques with proven traditional methods to provide patients with the best care possible.
Center For Spine And Scoliosis is headed by visionary Dr. Hitesh Garg, a well renowned spine surgeon in Guragon and Delhi NCR region. He is supported by a complete team of physiotherapists, orthotists, physicians, neurologist, radiologists, neurosurgeons and anaesthetists in providing a complete cure to all the conditions affecting the spine and spinal cord. We believe in treating the spine ailments conservatively unless the surgery is absolute necessity.
Born in a small town in the state of Punjab, Dr. Hitesh Garg graduated from India’s best medical college, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) before joining KEM College, Mumbai to specialize in Orthopaedic surgery. His special interest in spine surgery took him to USA for doing clinical fellowship in spine surgery from Yale University. He followed it up with a fellowship in pediatric spine surgery from Shriners hospitals for children where he performed some of the most complex deformity correction procedures. He has also done a fellowship in joint replacement from AIIMS, New Delhi.
Dr. Hitesh Garg has impeccable academic credentials from the best medical institutions around the world. He has strong academic interest, has published nationally and internationally and has written chapters in world renowned books on spine surgery. He has travelled widely and has presented papers at national and international conferences. He was offered a faculty position in spine surgery in USA, but he chose to come back to India with the aim of building a world class comprehensive spine center in this part of the world. Before joining Artemis Health Institute, Dr. Garg spent 8 years practicing his skills as a spine surgeon at the top most renowned institutes in USA and India. Dr. Garg believes in meeting patients’ individual needs through evaluation and treatment designed to help them achieve active, pain-free lifestyles. He combines leading edge techniques with proven traditional methods to provide patients with the best care possible.
- Fellowship in Spine Surgery - Yale University - Yale, EUA, 2009
- Fellowship in Paediatric Spine Surgery - Philadelphia University
- MS - Orthopaedics - King Edward Memorial Hospital and Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College, 2005
- MBBS - All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 2003
Since 2011 - Senior Consultant spine and scoliosis surgeon at Artemis Health Institute, Gurgaon, India
- 2010 - 2011 Clinical spine fellows at Shriners Hospitals for Children, Philadelphia, USA
- 2010 - 2010 Associate Consultant spine surgeon at Artemis Health Institute
- 2009 - 2010 Consultant Orthopedic and Spine Surgeon at Sahara Hospital
- 2008 - 2009 Clinical spine fellow at Yale University, New Haven, USA
Key Specialities and Work
- Started the Spine surgery department at Artemis Health Institute
- 2 years of clinical experience in spine surgery from USA
- Performed more than 5000+ spine surgeries including 1000 deformity correction surgeries.
- Performing the most advanced spine surgery procedures like fusionless techniques for deformity correction, Minimally Invasive Spine Surgeries and degenerative spine surgeries
- Officially certified from Synthes Spine Advancing Technologies Forum, Pennysylvania to perform Prodisc-C and Prodisc-L implantation procedures
Fellowship Trained Spine Surgeon
Pennsylvania State Limited License, Delhi Medical Council, Maharashtra Medical Council, Haryana Medical Council
- Delhi Spine Society
- Association of Spine Surgeons of India (ASSI)
- Indian Medical Association (IMA)
- Gurgaon Orthopaedic Society
Honors and Awards
- "Atal Swasthya Bhushan Samman 2019" awarded by Shri Om Birla, Honourable Speaker of India.
- Healthcare Today excellence award for "Best Spine Surgeon of the Year, 2018"
- Merit Award and Market Research Healthcare Award for "Best Spine Surgeon in Delhi NCR" for the year 2017
- Primetime "Global Healthcare Excellence Award" for "Best Spine Surgeon in Gurgaon" 2015
- Dr. Pandurangi Award for the “Best Orthopaedic Resident” for the year 2006-07 at KEM Hospital and Seth G S Medical College, Mumbai.
- Selected among the top 12 nominees out of 298 submissions for All Asia Young Inventor Award organized by Hewlett Packard (Dec 2000), for work on Homemade spacer for asthmatic patients. The work was mentioned in “Far Eastern Economic Review” (Dec, 2000).
- Ranked 5th in All India Pre-Medical Entrance Examination (1996)
- Ranked 2nd in Punjab Pre-Medical Test(1996)
- Dr Hira Lal Sharma Memorial Gold Medal (1996-97) for standing first in Punjab School Education Board ( Std XII ) in the state of Punjab
- Priviliged to sign the college Roll of Honour ( 1996-97)
- Merit Certificate and Silver medal from Punjab School Education Board
- National Level Science Talent Search Examination Scholarship
- Certificate of Merit for being among the top 0.1% of the successful candidates for All India Secondary School Examination in Mathematics
- Osteoplasty: The Treament of Vertebral Body Compression Fractures using the Osseofix Device in “The Comprehensive Treatment of the Aging Spine”
- Shubhranshu S Mohanty, Hitesh Garg . Osteoarthritis of knee and High Tibial Osteotomy “ Text book of Orthopedics and Trauma bu G S Kulkarni”
- Garg H, Cahill P, Pahys J: Injuries of the thoracolumbar spine in children in “Pediatric Orthopedic Surgical Emergencies”
- Wenhai Wang, George Baran, Hitesh Garg, Randal R. Betz, Patrick J. Cahill: Cement augmentation of pedicle screw fixation: a finite element analysis :( Submitted to spine)
- Samdani A, Cahill P, Garg H, Bonet H, Betz R: Acute intraoperative shunt failure in a case with myelomeningocoele A case report : ( JBJS(Am) , Feb 2012 )
- Miller CP, Jegede K, Essig D, Garg H, Bible JE, Biswas D, Whang PG, Grauer JN The Efficacies of Two Ceramic Bone Graft Extenders for Promoting Spinal Fusion in a Rabbit Bone Paucity Model. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2011 Aug 18.
- Garg, Hitesh , Ramachandran, Ravi, Yue, James “Prodisc-C”.Techniques in Orthopaedics: June 2010 – Volume 25 – Issue 2 – pp 118-126
- Mohanty SS, Bhasme VK, Garg H, Wargantiwar A. The haemophilic pseudotumour – surgical treatment by excision and filling the defect with calcium-phosphate cement granules.( Haemophilia. 2007 Mar;13(2):217-20 )
- Bapat M, Choudhary K, Garg H, Laheri V : Reconstruction of Iliac Crest using autogenous rib graft (Spine 2008 Nov 1;33(23) 2570-75)
- Garg H Mohanty SS: Study of the self centering mechanism of bipolar endoprosthesis (Thesis. Mumbai university)
- Singhal T, Garg H, Arora HS, Lodha R, Pandey RM, Kabra SK : Efficacy of a homemade spacer with acute exacerbation of bronchial asthma : A randomized controlled trial.( Indian J Pediatr 2001; 68(1) : 37-40 )
- “ Reconstruction of complete iliac crest donor site defects using autogenous rib graft” in book of abstracts for WIROC 2006
- “Quality of life in patients undergoing total hip replacement after fracture neck of femur – Indian scenario” in the book of abstracts for IOACON, 2006. Also published in ISTA, 2008 (International Society for technology in Arthroplasty) abstracts book and Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery – British Volume, Vol 92-B, Issue SUPP_I, 137
- “Self Centering Mechanism in Bipolar Endoprosthesis – Is it effective?” Published in ISTA, 2008 (International Society for technology in Arthroplasty) abstracts book and Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery – British Volume, Vol 92-B, Issue SUPP_I, 140.
- Samdani, Marks, Bastrom, Cahill, Garg, Lonner, Shah, Miyanji, Shufflebarger, Newton, Betz Treatment of AIS with All Pedicle Screw Constructs with Minimum 5 year Follow up (IMAST, 2011)
- Samdani, Garg, Cahill, Marks, Bastrom, Clements, Shah, Shufflebarger, Betz, Newton 5 Year Results for Lenke 1/2Curves: Comparison of Anterior, Posterior Hybrid, Posterior All Pedicle Screws (SRS, 2011)
- Pahys J, Samdani A, Garg H, Cahill P Assessment of Proximal Junctional Kyphosis and Shoulder Balance with Proximal Screws vs. Hooks in Posterior Spinal Fusion for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis: PAPER #7 (Spine: Affiliated Society Meeting Abstracts: 2011 – Volume – Issue – p 58)
- Patrick J. Cahill, MD Amer Samdani, MD Hitesh Garg, MD Josh Pahys, MD Baron Lonner, MD Randal Betz, MD, Harms Study Group: Prediction of Postoperative Height Increase after Deformity Correction in Scheuermann’s Kyphosis (Submitted for AAOS, 2012)
- Presented a case of “Three column Fracture of L2-L3 without neurological deficit associated with burst fracture L5 in an 18 years old girl “ at IMA meeting, Gwalior (Dec, 2009)
- Presented paper on “ Reconstruction of complete iliac crest donor site defects using autogenous rib graft” at WIROC 2006 (Western Indian Regional Orthopaedic Conference) held at Mumbai ( Dec, 2006)
- Presented a paper on “Quality of life in patients undergoing total hip replacement after fracture neck of femur – Indian scenario” as co-author at IOACON, 2006 ( Nov 2006)
- Presented a paper on “ Bipolar hemiarthroplasty in intertrochantric fractures” in SICOT 2008
- Presented a poster on Askin Tumour of the dorsal spine presenting as a paraplegia at ICS ( Aug 2005 )
- Poster on “Quality of life in patients undergoing total hip replacement after fracture neck of femur – Indian scenario” as a co-author at ISTA, 2008, Seoul, Korea Poster on “Self Centering Mechanism in Bipolar Endoprosthesis – Is it effective?” as a co-author at ISTA, 2008, Seoul, Korea
Current Research Projects
- Body Mass Index in operated cases of Scheuermann’s kyphosis at 2 years follow-up period
- 2 years follow up results of operated cases of scoliosis associated with spinal cord injury in paediatric population